Thursday, November 8, 2018

Reams of Rereads Blog Event // How did I do?


Well, my friends, the Reams of Rereads blog event has come to a close. How did I do on my reading? Well, here was my original list:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher

Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter

By the Great Horn Spoon! by Sid Fleishman

Heidi by Johanna Spyri

Toliver's Secret by Esther Wood Brady

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate Dicamillo

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

The American Girl Kirsten book series by Janet Shaw

Nim's Island by Wendy Orr

12 Empowerment Truths about Two Sons in Want by Terry Tripp

- More Than Conquerors by Terry Mize
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So.

Out of all of these wonderful books, how many of them did I actually end up reading?

Image result for steve mcqueen gif

Yep. Just two. Well... okay so, I guess if you want to be really technical about it, it was more like I read part of two books....

Sooo..... I actually didn't end up reading all the way through any of the books listed above. I reread part of Understood Betsy and Nim's Island, and that's all I got to. (Oh yeah, and I just remembered that I did read a little bit of More Than Conquerors one day as well, so I guess that's technically three that I read some of.) But yeah, I know. It's kinda sad.

HOWEVER, there actually was one reread that I did read all of again this month though (so I didn't entirely fail, you see!) I reread the classic, The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner which was fun. :) (But.... that wasn't even one of the ones I had on my list up there, so I guess that didn't really even count...)
Related image
So, in short... I didn't do so well.

I suppose I could make up a bunch of excuses as to why I didn't get very far into this list. Like life happening and stuff. But, I actually don't have a very valid excuse honestly. It's true, I've been pretty busy this past month, but I've also had quite a bit of free time as well. The problem was that I ended up using that free time doing other things besides rereading the books on this list. I didn't make reading them a priority.

And isn't it like that with so many other things in life? Take spending time reading the Bible and praying, for instance.

(So apparently I just decided now that I'm going to turn this over into a spiritual lesson, how about it?? ;D)

I'm sure all of us at one point or another have tried to make excuses for not spending enough time with God, listening to what He has to say to us and wants us to do. We look back over the past week or month or however long it's been and realize how much we haven't spent time in God's Word and with Him. We scrounge for excuses like, "Well, I was just so busy with work/school/everything..." "I was too tired..." "I just haven't been 'feeling' God lately..." and on and on we go, trying to justify ourselves for putting off doing the right thing.

But instead of making excuses, why don't we just fess up? We messed up. It wasn't anyone else's fault but ours that we didn't get to spend more time with God. The reason we didn't get to it wasn't because of all this other stuff going on in our life... it's because we didn't make spending time with God a priority. We didn't make time for it.

We need to look back, realize what we've done wrong, and ask God to forgive us. Then we need to move on and make a better effort. We shouldn't go back and wallow in our past mistakes, regretting not doing better at life before. Trust me, it isn't worth it. I've done this WAY too many times. Like I said a while back in my No Condemnation post, we need to let ourselves be convicted, but not condemned. We need to learn from our past mistakes, but not focus on them. Learn from them and then use that knowledge to make better choices in the future.
Early morning for a new beginning (by Inaki Soria)
We make time for a lot of things. We make time for reading, watching movies and shows, sports, birthday parties, hanging out with friends, etc. etc... So this really goes to show that we indeed CAN make time for things. We DO have extra time. Or if we don't, we MAKE extra time to do these things, because they're important to us. We don't want to miss out on doing them.

Well then, as God's very own children, we don't want to miss out spending time with our loving Father, do we??

If you really want to do something, you've got to make it a priority. It needs to be first above other things in life. And that's how our relationship with our Heavenly Father should be. He needs to be number one in our lives. We need to make our relationship with Him our very, very top priority! Think about it... God has done SO MUCH for us. He's the very one who created us and the entire world, and is the very reason why we're living and breathing right here and now!!! We have SUCH a privilege -- we can come BOLDLY to the Creator of the universe's throne of grace to talk to our Father and receive help ANYTIME we want or need to! (Hebrews 4:16) How amazing is that?! How terrible would it be to ignore such a privilege? To put off spending time with such an amazingly loving Father as we have?

I challenge you, as well as myself today to take special time out to express to your Daddy how much you love and appreciate Him and His goodness toward you!
Asami sato
So, there you go. There was my little spiritual turn-around to that reading predicament I had up there. ;) I basically didn't get to reading very much of the books on my list because I didn't make reading them a priority.

But, on another note, *enter Faith's ramble about reading* even if I DID make reading them a priority, I'm not really sure that I actually could have gotten to reading every book on my list. Maybe if I was some sort of reading ninja I could have. But I've heard that many people have indeed read that many books and more in a month, so... I guess there are a lot of reading ninjas out there.

I'd like to think of myself as a bookish person, but to be honest, I've gone back and forth between reading lows and highs many times. One month I'll be all like, "AWW YEAH LET'S READ ALL THE BOOKS!" and then the next month like, "Yeah....... I have time to read that, buuut... I'd rather do this other thing right now." But even in my times of reading like the wind, I might read only about five books in a month or something. That's what really amazes me. You reading ninjas. How all you other bookish people out there can read so many books at one time. I applaud you. For instance, I just recently saw that my blogging friend, Faith read fifteen books this past October... and that's not counting the six short stories she also read......
Related image
HOW.

HOW DOES ONE DO THIS?

I need to up my game, I guess.

But really, depending on the story, I usually don't want to finish a book in just a couple days. I guess I like to drag it out more and be able to spend more time in the story and with the characters.

"When she finished [the book], she felt happy and sad at the same time, because the ending was warm and smiley but she didn't want to say good-bye to the people in the book." ~Nim's Island

^^ Yep. :)

But then, of course, there are those long drawn out stories that you just want to be able to get through and finish as quickly as possible before you get to the point where you're just like...
Image result for shirley temple sad gif
Anywho. Sorry, now I'm just rambling.

I think that's really all for now. Wow, this post was all over the place... :P Did it even make sense all together? Well, however it turned out, I hope it wasn't too rambly and that you enjoyed it and all the random gifs and such anyway! ;)

Did you participate in the Reams of Rereads event? If so, how did you do? Did anyone out there not get to reading any of the books on their list either? Did you read ALL the ones on your list? What do you plan on reading this month? I'd love to hear how your reading has gone and is going lately! :D

I hope all of you are having a lovely day! Write to ya later, and God bless! :)
~Faith

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR USE OF THAT MAGNIFICENT SEVEN GIF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks! XD As I was searching for a good GIF for this post, I came across that one and was just like... YES THIS GOES PERFECTLY. AND STEVE MCQUEEN. So yeah. Win-win right there. :P

      Delete
  2. Making time for your priorities is so important! And God should definitely be number One. I think we are all learning to make Him first, it can be so hard with all the distractions and easier things that we WANT to do...

    I'm not a fast reader, but I can typically read three books a month, and that is on good months! (ya, so did some math and Faith read like half a year worth of books that I normally read, into ONE month!!!) So, I do believe she might qualify as a Reading Ninja! :)
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely! I'm definitely still learning as well and need to remind myself often to put God first above the other things that I want to do. It can be really hard like you said. But I'm so thankful that the Lord tells us in His Word that we can do all things through Him who strengthens us. And with that strength, we can overcome our flesh!

      Haha, yeah that would be around a half a year worth of books for me as well usually! :P Yes, Faith definitely deserves the title of Reading Ninja. :D Well, we'll keep working at it! ;)

      Delete
  3. I literally just wrote my November TBR last night! I've marked off two, because I finished them on election day, but the rest are...

    Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew)
    The Land of Cotton (by me;) I'm doing some research for my newest book)
    Our Heritage to Save ( also by me )
    Pollyanna!
    Resistance by Carla Jablonski and Leland Purvis

    Don't Faith's book lists make you feel like a novice reader? She is amazing! My record month was 11 books and I was like, Yep, that ain't ever gonna happen again! Usually, I average 5 books a month.

    Don’t feel bad about your"fail". I go through the same thing with my writing all the time. Just stick with it and keep in mind you did read some! That is progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those all sound good! (And yay, Pollyanna! That's one of my favorites! :) )

      Yes, she is quite amazing! Wow, 11 books is a great accomplishment! But 5 books a month is really good, too! It seems like I've been averaging only 1 or 2 books a month recently. :P

      Thanks so much for the encouragement! Yes, that IS a good thing to remember with both reading and writing... at least read/wrote some. :) We're all making progress one step at a time!

      Delete
  4. I loved the way you turned this into a spiritual lesson! :)

    Aww, y'all are sweet! ;) I did read a ton of books last month...too much free time I think, haha. I've always read a lot though—one summer when I was probably 11 or 12 I read like 70 books (many of which were short) from when school let out until it started back again. Which, as I'm now seeing, is a lot! I never realized how much others do or don't read until joining the blogging community. It's neat to see! *bows and accepts the title of Reading Ninja* A friend of my read a like 300 page book in like two hours...so I don't feel so speedy next to her! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! :)

      Wow, that is a lot!! *applauds* Yes, you definitely deserve the Reading Ninja award! ;D Yeah, same here; I think I never realized either how much others read or don't until getting more into the "blogosphere". And yes, it's definitely interesting to see each other's differences in things like that! I think many times we try so hard to fit into the mold of what everyone else likes and does, and when we don't fit into that pattern we become unhappy with who we are. But God made us all to be unique in the things we like and do, and we should embrace those differences, not be sad about them! :) (I've had to remind myself of this many times.) I used to think I was more of a bookworm, but looking back on it now, though I did and still do enjoy reading a lot, it's actually not a really major hobby of mine right now.

      And WOW, your friend sounds like the ultimate Reading Ninja! That's amazing!! :O

      Delete
    2. Agreed! :D The world would be a pretty boring place if we all had the same strengths/weaknesses/interests. :)

      Delete
  5. Hey, fellow 12 Days of Christmas party-er! I just had to pipe up and say I love that Steve McQueen gif. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kaitlyn! I'm so happy to meet you and to be able to participate in the blog party together! :) Haha, thanks, I'm glad you like it! XD

      Delete