Saturday, April 1, 2017

March Madness -- Reading Edition

Ever since I can remember, I've always liked stories. It's always nice to be able to have a quiet moment to sit down with a good book and venture off into another world for a time. So, I thought it would be fun to share some books I've read and stories I've journeyed through this past month. :)

A Family Apart
Image result

My rating:
5 stars

Synopsis:
Imagine being taken from your home. Imagine your mother is the one who lets it happen.
 This is the fate that befalls the six Kelly children. Their widowed mother has sent them west from New York City because she’s convinced that she can’t give them the life they deserve. The Kellys board an “orphan train” and are taken to St. Joseph, Missouri, where their problems only grow worse. It was bad enough that they had to say goodbye to their mother, but now they’re forced to part ways with their fellow siblings as well. Thirteen-year-old Frances won’t stand for it. She’s going to protect her brothers and sisters, even if it means dressing up like a boy and putting herself in danger.

My review:
Historical fiction is my absolute favorite, so of course, I dived right into this series. I had started a novel (with the help of the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum) some time ago about someone who travels on the Orphan Train. I have been putting on the back burner for a while (I hope to pick it back up again soon), but ever since then, I've always been interested in learning more about the Orphan Train and the children who rode on it. I hadn't seen a whole lot of novel-type books like this on the Orphan Train before, but near the beginning of March, I found this series listed in the back of another book and excitedly hopped onto the computer to find it (well, more like I hopped into the computer chair... that wouldn't have turned out too well if I had hopped onto the computer....).

But, anyway, to get to the point, I wasn't disappointed. This first book in The Orphan Train Adventures is told very well and it's message about sacrifice is most poignant. It brings quite a few other historical events into the picture as well, including Lincoln on the verge of being elected, and the Underground Railroad. This story of a tightly knit family that unexpectedly gets torn apart is an excellent story that, especially for those of you who enjoy historical fiction, I heartily recommend.

(Okay, so that was a longer review than I had intended it to be... the rest of the books I list will most likely have a shorter one just to let you know.)

Caught In The Act
Image result

My rating:
4.5 stars

Synopsis:
Eleven-year-old Mike Kelly is adopted by a German immigrant farm family living in Missouri with a sadistic owner, a bullying son, and a number of secrets, one of which may be murder.

My review:
After finishing A Family Apart, I realized that the next few books to follow in the series would each be written from one of the older Kelly children's perspectives, which I thought was neat. The first one was from the oldest sibling, Frances Mary's perspective, and this one, the second book in The Orphan Train Adventures, is told from Mike, the oldest Kelly boy's perspective.

This was an intriging mystery which I enjoyed quite well. Great plot and great characters. One of my favorite quotes from it was this one:
"I don't understand why people think slavery is right."
"The answer is that they don't think. If they examined the issue, they might have to act on it, so it's easier for them not to think at all."

In the Face of Danger
Image result

Rating:
4 stars

Synopsis:
Shy Megan Kelly cannot forget the day a gypsy read her palm announcing to all that she would bring trouble to those around her. Afterward, trouble does follow her, until, with her newly adopted family, she takes the necessary steps to free herself from the burdens of fear, loneliness, and superstition.

My review:
This was a very adventurous, and overall, great story. It's a little annoying, however, when Megan keeps going back to the curse a gypsy put on her years ago and thinks that it's the cause of anything bad that happens to her or to those around her (including the reason that all her siblings get separated). I guess that every main character needs a weakness, though. But in the end, with the help and encouragement of her adopted parents, she conquers her fears and realizes that bad things just happen sometimes, and that all of it isn't her fault, and that she can overcome those circumstances with good. Overall, I quite enjoyed it. :)

Abe Lincoln at Last!
Image result

My rating:
4 stars

Synopsis:
Jack and Annie have a magic tree house that will take them anywhere in history. In this adventure, the magic tree house whisks Jack and Annie to Washington D.C. in the 1860s where they meet Abraham Lincoln and collect a feather that will help break a magic spell.

My review:
Okay, so I know. This isn't really a book written for my age group. But I found this one at the library and thought I'd just check it out for fun... And me being the historical-loving person I am, I thought, why not, ya know? ;) I actually really got it thinking of my younger brother, but one evening I decided to pick it up and read some of it.... which ended in me actually reading through the whole thing in the course of an hour and a half maybe...
Image result for sound of music gif

This was a fun, enjoyable story. It's message of hope and doing the right thing was nicely portrayed throughout Jack and Annie's adventures. I liked it. :)

How to be a Success in Life
How to Be a Success in Life   -     By: Kenneth W. Hagin

My rating:
5 stars

Summary:
This booklet emphasizes that true success depends upon developing the spiritual man, seeking wisdom to deal wisely with the issues of life, cooperating with God, practicing the Word, and obeying the voice of God (obey without delay). Be encouraged and challenged to rise to godly standards and enjoy a successful life.

My review:
So this is a booklet, not a full-sized book, but it was still just as good. This was a great read, and it's not one of those ones that you read one time and then you're done. It's like a little handbook that you can go back to and read over again and again. And it's not that long, too, so it's not hard to do. I highly recommend it.


Well, there you have it. That's probably the most books I've read in a month for a while. It was madness... March madness, that is. :P Okay, not really madness -- but it was really a lot of fun! :D I think I'm going to try to do posts like this again at the end of each month telling what I read/watched/am going to read, or something like that. We'll see how it goes. :)

Have a great weekend, everyone!
~Faith

P.S. Have you read any of these books? What did you read in March?

P.P.S. Oh yes, and just to let you know, I really did read all these books, just in case any of you were skeptical with it being April Fool's Day and all. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment